Saturday, March 16, 2013

Plastic Rope Teardrop Necklace


You know how people alway say not to play with fire?  Well guess what we're doing today?  Okay, what I'm writing to tell you how to do today....  Anyway, my point is, we're playing with... wait for it.... FIRE!  What a shocker!  You had no idea, right? So I bought a big thing of that crappy plastic rope at a junk store.  I'm not insulting the store.  It was a store that was full of bins of junk.  Anyway, this big thing of rope cost like two dollars, so I decided to make a necklace.  I grabbed a hot glue gun, a candle, and some blue ribbon (not in the picture below, sorry, I know you're disappointed in me!)


Anyhoo, I first cut the length of rope I wanted.


Next, I lit the candle and put one end of the rope over the flame.  Make sure not to put it right into the flame, cuz it will burn.  If it catches on fire, just blow it out.  Let the plastic rope melt a bit.  Then, roll it on some glass, and then along your finger once it has cooled down.  Then, just heat the other side, and press it onto the first end to make a loop.


Then, do the same thing over again with different lengths or rope to make different sized loops.


Next, use a hot glue gun to attach the loops to each other.


Then, take some ribbon or cloth.  I used a nice blue ribbon.


Then I sewed my ribbons together.  Of course, you may not need to do this, but I did.  I used black thread for stylistic reasons, but you can do whatever you want with the backing.  Next, use a hot glue gun to glue the rope onto the backing.


Then, cut out the charm.  If you had stitches in the backing, make sure to go over the end of the stitches with hot glue so they don't unravel.  I also frayed the edges on mine, but what you should do depends on your fabric.


Then just add a loop of wire at the top and glue it on!


And there we are.  I used the same ribbon from the backing as my chain.


So despite some minor burns, I think playing with fire worked out okay.

-Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment