Sunday, March 10, 2013

SImple Rustic Skewer Necklace

So I just went to Blick art store, and I got some thin basswood skewery things.  I liked them a lot.  I had this idea for a cool negative space, rustic modern necklace.  I took them home, all excited about my cool necklace, and opened a kitchen drawer, and what do I see?  Skewers.  Okay, so they're round, and the ones I got are more rectangular, but still.  Anyway, what's done is done.

So first, I grabbed some of my fancy rectangular skewers.


Next, I cut one of them into four pieces about the size I wanted (only 3 of them are below, deal with it.)


Next, I took one of them and painted just one side of it silver with nail polish.


I really like it because it's a bit sparkly, and not just silver.  I'm not really a glitter girl, but with the rustic vibe I think it balances out.  Then, I just took my four pieces of wood and used a hot glue gun to glue them together.


I like the arrow shape, and the asymmetrical part.  It's a little Katniss, right?  So, next I just cut off the ends where they went on too long, and pulled off the extra glue bits.


Finally, I just added two jump-rings and put it on some cute leather cord I bought.  I also made another charm like this one out of the normal skewers.


I really like them, even though they are a bit different from my normal funky style.

-Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment